Custom Swimming Pool Cover Materials
There is no best material. Each customer has individual issues that
are unique to their own pools and pool cover needs. Below are three materials and combinations
that address most of the customer concerns that have been expressed to us.
- This material offers easy pool cover setup at the start of
the winter season because it is very
light weight (4.1 oz/sq yd).
- The material offers the greatest resistance to sunlight
deterioration (UV resistance) over
any of the other materials listed here.
- The open weave prevents water from collecting on its
- The material can not be
patched, hence it is not an appropriate choice for pools
located under trees (branches break off).
- The material has low abrasion
resistance; thus pool cover must have a scuff pad of another
material to address this weakness.
- While open mesh prevents water from collecting on pool
cover, decayed leaves that remain on the cover eventually sift
through. In combination with sunlight (which also permeates the
cover) the decayed leaves eventually lead to an algae filled
pool that requires additional
"shocking" to kill the algae during the spring
|9X12 Scrim Vinyl Coated Mesh
- This material is still light
weight (6.5 oz/sq yd) thus making setup at start of winter
season an easy job.
- Unlike polypropylene, vinyl coated mesh can be patched. Hence it is a good choice for pools
located under trees (where branch breakage can cause pool cover
- Higher abrasion resistance
- This material degrades sooner
under sunlight than polypropylene mesh.
- Fabric design allows larger particles and more sunlight to
penetrate cover and enter pool water. Thus the algae buildup at
end of winter season may be greater than with
|10oz PVC Coated Polyester Solid
- Highest abrasion resistance
than all the materials listed here.
- This material minimizes organic
material and sunlight from entering pool. Hence the material
is a good choice for pool locations NEAR trees and
- Its weight
(10 oz/sq yd) becomes a
real factor in fall setup. Water pooling tends to lead to
unsightly and possibly unsafe slimy build up ( decayed leaves
and water ). Hence it tends to be used for smaller pools.
- Rain and snow require pumping
water off the cover throughout the winter months. Removal of
the cover in the spring becomes more difficult because debris
can spill into the pool.
|Combination Vinyl Coated Solid &
Vinyl Coated Mesh
Available By Special Order Only "CALL"
pool cover made from this combination is primarily vinyl coated
solid but with a vinyl coated mesh for a drain at the lowest point
of the cover.
- While the organic loading of the swimming pool is the same
as an all mesh cover, the amount of sunlight allowed to enter
the pool is minimized. This material combination tends to
minimize algae loading.
- Weight remains a factor in the Start of winter
| || |
PO Box 8983, New Haven CT 06532
| || |
Copyright D.S.Sewing 1999-. All rights reserved
3 of 6